Mitaka City
Municipal Office Information

Family Register (Koseki)

 The “Koseki” family registration system provides official verification of a Japanese person’s name, birth date, spouse, family relationships and other personal information. This registration system has no direct bearing on foreigners. However, births, deaths, marriages and divorces that take place in Japan require the following notifications.

Notification of Marriage (Konin Todoke)

 When a Japanese person marries a foreign resident, they must submit various documents, such as a completed marriage notification form, a copy of the Japanese person’s family register, the foreign resident’s passport, a residence card, special permanent resident certificate or foreign resident registration card, which is considered equivalent to these, and a certificate of eligibility for marriage issued by the embassy or consulate office of the foreign resident’s home country. (If the certificate is in a foreign language, then a Japanese translation with the name of the translator must also be attached.) When two foreign residents marry, the procedures are the same.

Notification of Divorce (Rikon Todoke)

 If a foreign resident living in Japan divorces a Japanese spouse by mutual agreement, they may become legally divorced according to Japanese law. If both parties agree, please submit a completed divorce notification form to the municipal office of either the registered domicile of the Japanese spouse or the city where the person submitting the form has his/her address registered. If both parties are foreign residents, then please inquire with the consulate office of your home country for details concerning the appropriate procedures.

Notification of Birth (Shusshou Todoke)

 When a child is born, a completed birth notification form with the doctor’s verification in the column provided on the birth certificate must be submitted to the Civil Affairs Section within 14 days.
Notification Period: Within 14 days, including the day of birth
Where to File a Notification: At the municipal office of birth or residence of the person filing the notification
Who Should File the Notification: The father or the mother of the child
Required Documents: The notification form and the Mother and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenko Techo)
*The following procedures must also be completed for a child of foreign nationality remaining in Japan for over sixty days after birth:
1. If the father or mother is a special permanent resident:
Apply for special permanent residence (within sixty days after birth): at window #7 on the first floor of the Mitaka Municipal Office Main Building
2. Those other than category 1:
(1) Apply for a passport: Please ask the embassy office of your country for more information
(2) Apply for a visa status of residence and period of stay (within thirty days after birth)
Please call the Immigration Information Center (Tel: 03-5796-7112) for more information.

Notification of Death (Shibo Todoke)

 If a person dies in Japan, a death notification must be completed.
*Cremation is the most typical form of disposal in Japan. If it is desired for the body to be shipped back to the home country, consult with the relevant embassy or consulate in Japan for the procedure.
Notification Period: Within seven days of learning of the death.
Where to File a Notification: At the municipal office of death or residence of the person filing a notification
Who Should File a Notification: A member of the same family/household or relative
Required Documents: Notification form (the form attached to the death certificate, which is completed by the hospital)

Inquiries: Family Registration Subsection, Civil Affairs Section, Civil Affairs Department (ext. 2333)

Household (Setai)

 A group of people who share the same home and livelihood is called a household (“setai”). Even if a person is not a family member or if a person lives alone, the unit is still considered a household. The person who provides the main source of living for the household is called the Head of the Household (Setai Nushi). Although household members do not need to be blood-related, friends who are living together are not considered a household member since they have a separate means of support.

Inquiries: Notification and Certification Subsection, Civil Affairs Section, Civil Affairs Department (ext. 2326)

To the top of the page

Mitaka Municipal Office 1-1, Nozaki 1-chome, Mitaka City, 181-8555, Tokyo Tel:0422-45-1151(Main Switchboard) Access Mitaka City Office

Hours:Weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Closed:national holidays and during the December29 through January3)