Mitaka City
Municipal Office Information

Long-term Care Insurance (Kaigo Hoken)

 This is a social insurance program in which society as a whole supports those who need long-term care, and everyone who is forty years of age or older must enroll in this mutual assistance program. Foreign residents are also eligible for this program.

Insurance Premiums

 Those who are 65 years of age or older (Type 1 Members) may pay premiums by having them deducted from their National Pension benefit or by using tax payment slips Mitaka City will send you.
  Those who are between 40 and 64 years of age (Type 2 Members) must pay premiums for long-term care together with the insurance premiums for the medical health insurance in which they are currently enrolled. (Please refer to page 68 if you are a member of the Mitaka City National Health Insurance program.)

Inquiries: Long-term Care Insurance Premium Subsection, Senior Citizen’s Support Section, Health and Welfare Department (ext. 2689)

Those who are eligible to take advantage of long-term care insurance services include:

(1) Those who are 65 years of age or older who need care because they are bed-ridden or suffering from dementia.

(2) Those who are between 40 and 64 years of age and need long-term care due to having a specially designated illnesses such as cerebrovascular disorder.
To take advantage of long-term care services, you must first apply for Long-Term Care Certification (Yo-kaigo Nintei) at the Mitaka Municipal Office, and obtain this certification.

Inquiries: Long-term Care Insurance Certification Subsection, Senior Citizen’s Support Section, Health and Welfare Department (ext. 2683)

If you are certified as needing care or help with daily activities

 There are two major services offered under the long-term care insurance: (1) “home visiting care,” in which home helpers visit your house to provide physical care, such as bathing, toileting and eating, or to render daily help, such as cooking and washing clothes, and (2) facility visiting care,” in which you make day trips to care facilities to receive help with daily activities, such as taking meals and bathing, and receive other help to improve your daily living skills. Aside from (1) and (2) , you can also stay at care facilities according to your condition (welfare facilities for elderly care, health facilities for elderly care, etc.). You will be asked to pay 10% of the cost to use these services. The insurer will pay the remaining 90%.

Inquiries: Long-term-Care Insurance Benefit Subsection, Senior Citizen’s Support Section, Health and Welfare Department (ext. 2685)

To the top of the page


Mitaka Municipal Office 1-1, Nozaki 1-chome, Mitaka City, 181-8555, Tokyo Tel:0422-45-1151(Main Switchboard) Access Mitaka City Office

Hours:Weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Closed:national holidays and during the December29 through January3)